Guidelines & Rules at
Heritage Community Garden and Park
The Williamson County and Cities Health District (WCCHD), in partnership with the City of
Georgetown Parks and Recreation Department, are developing the Heritage Community
Gardens at 2100 Hutto Road in Georgetown. The Heritage Community Gardens will feature 38
raised garden plots, nature exploration trails, an education center and a Children’s garden which
includes specialty theme gardens. This garden is being designed as a hands-on learning and
exploration center to teach children and their families how to garden, prepare healthy meals,
and discover nature. Some guidelines have been established to assure that we best utilize the
land provided by the City of Georgetown to develop an opportunity for physical activity, access
to fresh fruits and vegetables, social interaction, neighborhood beautification, and community
• There are 75 garden plots and a three acres of in-ground gardens at Heritage
• There is a variety of garden plot sizes. This is to accommodate a variety of gardeners
such as but not limited to children, beginner gardeners, individuals, youth groups, large
& small families, and experienced gardeners. If interested in changing the size of a
garden plot contact WCCHD Garden Coordinator for approval.
• Most of the garden plots are 2 cinder blocks high with a few being 3 cinder blocks high.
These plots (3 bricks high) are suggested for individuals in a wheel chair or with other
• To involve more community members at the gardens, an individual gardener can adopt
no more than two garden plots.
• A waiting list will be established when all garden plots have been adopted. However
current gardeners with two plots will be asked to give up a plot to allow a new gardener
• 90% of each garden bed must be fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
• I have adopted a garden plot with the understanding that I will give at least 10% of the
produce back to the community through a local food bank.
• I will actively garden in my HCG plot. I understand that I am responsible for watering,
weeding, fertilizing, soil amendments and caring for my plot.
• If I choose to skip a season (i.e. doesn’t want to winter garden) I will give up my plot. I
will be able to have a new garden plot assigned to me in the spring.
• I am responsible for maintaining the appearance of my garden plot and 2 feet of
bordering pathways. This includes cleaning up trash, litter, pulling the weeds, rolling up
hoses, removing dead/dying plants and rotting vegetables and putting tools away.
• If my plot becomes un-kept at anytime, I understand I will be given 2 weeks notice to
clean it up. If it remains in non-compliance, it will be re-assigned. I understand this is a
one time courtesy.
• I will harvest my produce in a timely matter. If I am unable to pick my vegetables, I will
notify WCCHD garden coordinator that my plot needs to be harvested and donated to the Caring Place. If the vegetables in my garden bed are un-harvested WCCHD has my permission to harvest and donate them for me unless otherwise communicated (i.e. saving seed).
• I will not pick produce from any other gardener’s garden.
• I will record my produce donations by emailing the amount donated to the garden coordinator.
• If I must give up my plot for any reason, I will notify Williamson County & Cities Health
District garden coordinator immediately.
• I will not grow noxious weeds, vegetables, vines or fruit that will interfere with other
gardener’s enjoyment of their gardening experience.
• I will report any problems, vandalism or damage to WCCHD garden coordinator.
• I will water my garden. I will water responsibly. I will not leave my garden plot unattended
while watering. I will report any plumbing damages to WCCHD garden coordinator immediately. When finished watering, I will coil the hose. I will follow all City water restriction guidelines.
• I understand that Heritage is an organic garden and I will only use organic fertilizers and
Earth friendly solutions. If I am in doubt about what is allowable, I will check with WCCHD garden coordinator.
• I am allowed to use the tools stored in the barn only for the purpose for which they were
designed. I must clean the tools and return them to their proper place in the barn, close
and lock the door. I will report any broken or damaged tools to WCCHD garden coordinator.
• I will store all supplies in the barn/shed.
• No pets of any kind are allowed on Heritage Community Garden premises.
• I will encourage my child (ren) to come with me to Heritage Community Garden. I
understand that it is my responsibility to keep my children safe and focused on the garden
• I will NOT have tobacco plants or products on site. I will not smoke and/or chew tobacco
on site. Tobacco carries the Mosaic Virus that is easily transmitted to other plants and
• I will not consume alcohol or illegal substances on Heritage Community Garden
No Firearms are allowed.
• I will follow the guidelines provided on what to add to the compost and when I can use it.
Park and Grounds
• I will help maintain the grounds by keeping litter picked up.
• If I am the last gardener around, I will lock the gate when I leave.
I understand that neither the garden group nor owners of the land are responsible for my
actions. I THEREFORE AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS THE GARDEN GROUP AND
OWNERS OF THE LAND FOR ANY LIABILITY, DAMAGE, LOSS OR CLAIM THAT OCCURS
IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE GARDEN BY ME OR ANY OF MY GUESTS.